Monday, August 13, 2012

Thoughts on Safety and 9-11 Truth

[Rena Patty is biking across the country with fellow activist Pam Senzee to raise awareness of the work of Architects & Engineers for 9-11 Truth. She is currently passing over the Rocky Mountains. I found her recent comments about safety and the truth to be very compelling, considering the monumental task she is undertaking. This country needs more people like her and Pam. You can donate to their cause by visiting 911journeyfortruth.org.]

I am going off topic for Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth. AE911Truth organization speaks only about the forensic evidence related to the destruction of the World Trade Center on 9/11. What follows is my own experience.

The ride over the rough and narrow shoulders has me thinking about everyone who has wished me safety on the road or told me to “be safe out there.” I do value my safety and want to be safe, so this is a tough post for me to write for people who care about me. I know you care about me and want for me, and for all the people you love, to be safe.

I am asking mostly questions here....

Are there times when culturally we consider it appropriate to set a lower priority for one’s own personal safety in order to protect the wellbeing of others? Soldiers are asked to intentionally go into dangerous situations in order to protect the safety of others. Firefighters and police officers have standard operation procedures to protect safety, and at the same time personal safety is one of many considerations when entering a burning building to save the life and property.

My primary objective in deciding to ride my bike across the country is not protection of my personal safety. While safety matters to me, my primary objective is raising awareness of the work of Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth. Open honest discussion about what happened on 9/11 matters to me as much as my personal safety.

I am concerned with security and safety for all people. I am concerned about the safety of young soldiers (the age of my own sons), who have been sent to war under a pretext that is in serious question. PTSD, traumatic brain injury, dismemberment and death – these are the risks we ask our soldiers to take as they go to war. Is it too much to ask that we have an honest discussion about the pretext for war? I am sad for the stresses on soldiers and their families as they face separation, uncertainty and injury.

I also have concern about the wellbeing of people - men, women, children, elderly - trapped in horrible conditions in war zones by no fault of their own. The circle of people for whom I hold concerns for safety and security is broad. Does my personal safety matter more than theirs? If so, why? What can we do together to protect everyone's safety? Are you willing to speak with your neighbors and your elected representatives honestly, openly and respectfully about 9/11? If not, why not?

What else might be worth risking one’s personal safety? How about the inalienable rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights amended to the United States Constitution? These too are part of my 4000-mile prayer as I ride across the country.

I wish that broad public discussion about 9/11 and the wars could happen with less effort and risk. For more than ten years I’ve tried, but my efforts have not yet been sufficiently effective. Will this cross country bike ride effectively open discussion?

I do know that facing challenging situations honestly and with respect and care for everyone involved is essential for healing. How broadly can you, can we, expand our circle of care for the security, safety and well-being of others?

I expect that I've offered plenty to think about. The wide spaces of Montana are not for the faint of heart.

I attended the Whitefish United Methodist Church service this morning. I am grateful for their hospitality and their peace loving congregation. Please remember to pray for the health and wellbeing of everyone we meet along the way.

No comments: